Sweetness to the Soul


My sweet mother-in-law wasn't a fabulous cook. She was a very practical woman, and a very simple cook. She made dishes that tasted good but didn't take a lot of ingredients or lots of work for that matter. I'd been hungry for this for several weeks, and when I spied fresh strawberries in Walmart this week I snatched up several packages of them. Had a strawberry pie made faster than a flash, and we've been enjoying it for several days. Nice, cold strawberry pie when the days are already hitting 100 degrees - heavenly!

Too good (and simple) to keep to myself:

Strawberry Pie, by Atrel Gibson

1 graham cracker crust or baked pie shell
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 3 ounce pkg strawberry flavored gelatin (I used cranberry!)
1 cup hot water
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries

In saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and water til smooth. Bring to boil. Cook and stir for two minutes or til thickened. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin til dissolved. Refrigerate 15 - 20 minutes or til slightly cooled. Arrange strawberries in the crust. Pour gelatin mixture over berries. Refrigerate until set, then serve with a generous serving of redi-whip or such on it.

That's it! The hotter it gets outside, the better it tastes, so whip one up for somebody you love.

P.S. Happy Birthday to my sweet cyber-friend, Becky!

Comments

Popular Posts