Trash Day

We won this week! It's been a funny, albeit stinky thing with us. A game of whoever sets out the most trash on our street each week wins. Our mountain made me hide behind the curtains, hearing that heavy truck sound coming up the street.

Would they take it? All of it? Or would they bang on the front door and ask, 'lady, have you lost your ever-loving mind? No way are we taking all of that for the measly $25 a month you send us.'

They took it. All of it, even the dirty diapers, the contributions from the catbox (my perrsonal antidote for identity stealing) coffee grounds, cans not cleaned, soured milk carton. Miracle of miracles, they took every bit of it!

What do I need to set on the sidewalk of my soul, ask God to pick up and haul off? Bitterness, spoiled and soured from being allowed, encouraged to ferment long and hard. Judgmentalness because others have chosen to do or think or live or spend or vote differently than me. Laziness, evidence abounds. Lack of discipline - where's my Mama when I need someone to tell me to pull up my bootstraps and do the right thing, or don't do the wrong one? Apathy - it's so easy to not care, or just throw some money at the problem and kid myself that it's the same as caring. I've mastered that one too.

Twenty five dollars a month gets you one pickup a week, and maybe, just maybe, they'll take it all away. What if I take advantage of the deal I've got? Free to me, because some One else already paid, and He takes it all, makes me white as snow, and remembers all the yuck sitting out on the sidewalk no more?

"as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Ps. 103:12

"Come now, let us reason together says the Lord, though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow." Isaiah 1:18

Popular Posts