It is nice to be right, but .....



A little bit more from Book of Stillmeadow, because it's too good to keep to myself...
Sometimes I stop and think, now, that every day we are making memories. And I wonder whether I make happy memories for my own child. I feel sure that if families would be conscious of the fact that everything they do or say may one day be a memory, there would be less quarreling, fewer harsh words spoken. It is nice to be right, but better to be remembered pleasantly. And there is something so inexorable about the past; you can't change it. You can only try to make today a good one before it, too, slips into the past. 
Gladys Taber, Book of Stillmeandow, May

This speaks volumes to me; CS and I both are pretty sensitive by nature, but we're also human. If we get tired or overwhelmed or frustrated or hungry or or or - we have a tendency to snap at the other one. Then the other snaps right back, and thus starts the vicious cycle, until one is willing to jump off the merry-go-round of it all.

I don't want to have on my headstone someday, 'she was always right.' Rather I want it to say, "she loved with all she had.'

That's worth being wrong, even when I'm not. 

Comments

Popular Posts