Saltine Pie Crust, Just for the Asking


This past week I was sitting in the dentist's office waiting for the happy event of sharp tools poking around my mouth, and eyed a magazine I've never, ever seen. And at the very top of the cover - there in the middle - a headline that grabbed me: The Perfect Slice, A Summer Pie Primer.

Did someone say pie? I love almost any pie I've ever had, except mincemeat which just is not my thing. I love it so much, and have found the very best way to eat it is cold, for breakfast, with a cup of hot coffee. Hard to beat.

On page 112 I saw teasers for a pie I've never heard of - watermelon chiffon, and that's intriguing enough all by itself, since watermelon in any form is in my top ten foods on the planet, but one page over I saw this:

A pie crust made of saltine crackers. Never, ever, ever heard of that. Has anyone else?

The crust was to go with a sour orange pie, and I won't bother to print that here, but I'm thinking this crust would be good with any chiffon pie. We're having family over for a cookout and pool party for the 4th, before we drag blankets and lawn chairs and go find fireworks somewhere. I'm going to use the crust with Lemon Meringue, because when it's 100 degrees in Texas you just need to feed people cold lemon meringue pie. That's my theory anyway.

Saltine Pie Crust Ingredients:

1 1/2 sleeves saltine crackers, crushed but not powdered
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

Combine crackers and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add softened butter and knead until dough comes together. Then press the mixture into an 8 inch pie pan and chill it in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until just brown. Remove pan from the oven and set aside. Let cool while preparing pie filling and meringue.

Did you get that? No rolling out dough! So I'll try it and you try it - let me know what you think. It makes me wonder if my mother, and mother-in-law used to make this crust, or is it a new-fangled thing? The magazine flouts it as 'a modern twist, a salty, crumbly cracker crust that contrasts with the fluffy meringue and the sweet filling. So maybe it's a brand new thing someone just thought up?

BTW: I never know what to do about magazines in doctor offices. I confess I have sometimes been that person who rips out pages and tucks them in my purse. I know you love that when you come behind me, read half an article, turn the page to find the rest of it is gone. This time I walked up to the receptionist with magazine in hand, and asked if I could borrow it for a week to copy a recipe and she told me, 'take it home, we have so many!' Hooray! Just for the asking I got a new pie crust recipe, plus the recipes to watermelon chiffon pie, and blackberry and peach cobbler - oh happy summer!

Comments

Popular Posts