The Imperfection that is everywhere....


If there is such a thing as human perfection, it seems to emerge precisely from how we handle the imperfection that is everywhere, especially our own. What a clever place for God to hide holiness, so that only the humble and earnest will find it!  A 'perfect' person ends up being one who can consciously forgive and include imperfection rather than one who thinks he or she is totally above and beyond imperfection. It becomes sort of obvious once you say it out loud. I would say that the demand for the perfect is the greatest enemy of the good. Perfection is a mathematical or divine concept, goodness is a beautiful human concept that includes us all. 


Richard Rohr, Falling Upward, Introduction

Comments

Karen said…
I love this and have this book on order. I've had the pleasure of seeing Richard twice, here in Denver and at a conference in Albuquerque with James Finley, another amazing, Godly man. Are you familiar with Richard's daily meditations available through email? This week he is addressing the subject of your post. I love this: "Salvation is not sin perfectly avoided, as the ego would prefer; but in fact, salvation is sin turned on its head and used in our favor.

Good stuff!
Bev said…
Karen,

I had never even heard of him before seeing that Sandy at Reluctant Entertainer was reading this book. I have been completely mesmerized by his writing! Such wisdom and insight - it truly takes my breath away. I tried to read the library's copy but knew it was an 'underlining' kind of book that I'd want to have in my devotion basket to refer to again and again. I'd love, love, love to hear him speak! And no, I didnt know he has daily meditations thru email - will check that out too - thanks for the tip!

Popular Posts