Perfect Super Bowl recipe, to try now

Katarina (nicknamed Katie)

I had fully intended to tell you all about the keyboard Santa brought me for Christmas. She's so lovely! I named her Katerina, but as I plan to put her on my calendar at least 5 times a week, I've nicknamed her Katie. My dear piano, 2000 miles north of me, named Penelope, will be surprised when I return, after my time here in Texas with Katie and my soon to begin lessons. I plan to make Penelope's keys sing!

But that wasn't the point of this post. Stromboli was. Is.

When I was in Idaho I got the itch to take cooking classes. There is the most lovely cooking store, called Culinary Stone. Much like a Williams Sonoma, but more homey than that. It still has all the wonderful tools and such to be purchased, but there's also a deli where you can order lunch, or take home wonderful items to prepare in your own home; there's a wall of wine, fabulous cheeses, and the perfect little italian bakery tucked right next door. The free wifi, baked goods and coffee make it the perfect place to hide for a morning, or meet a friend for a little visit.

My first class at the Culinary Stone was french cooking. A chef whose name I've forgotten, but with the most beautiful accent, showed us how to make a chicken dish, au gratin potatoes and some fabulous pudding dessert. I was smitten, and quickly signed up for more classes.

The most recent was with an italian chef named Jonathan. He's a local, so warm and down to earth. Taking one of his classes makes you want to run home and fill your kitchen with messes and smells and such. I've now taken three of his classes and have learned so much that I can't wait to sign up for more when we head north in June or so.

Before the class I couldn't remember the difference between a stromboli and a calzone, and would never have ordered either in a restaurant, let alone attempt to make one. Jonathan showed us there was nothing to it. I'd taken the class with a girlfriend and we met at our home, with our husbands, and we made another stromboli that turned out great. It was the perfect meal to go with Monday night football. After successfully recreating the meal I decided to make it a regular part of our menu planning here in Texas and Idaho.

To start, you'll need a batch of pizza dough. You can use the refrigerated kind, or whip up one of your own. If you have a stand mixer or a bread machine it's very easy to do. The dough can be made ahead of time and held on the counter in a covered, greased dish until you're ready for it.

Here's the recipe I used for dough:

1/2 tsp salt
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tblsp olive or vegetable oil

Measure all ingredients, and add to bowl of mixer or pan of bread machine. Use the dough setting on your bread machine or the dough hook on your stand mixer, following directions for your appliance.

Once the dough is ready, cover your counter with a sheet of parchment paper about a foot long.


Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Roll the dough out onto the parchment paper into a rectangular shape. Spread the dough with 1/3 of a jar of pizza sauce, leaving about 2 inches from the edge. Top the sauce with a handful of fresh spinach leaves, then top with pepperoni, ham, or meat of your choice. (Or leave off for a vegetarian dish). Add chopped veggies as you prefer. I usually throw on chopped onions, green peppers, black olives and mushrooms. Use your imagination here, or go as your family's taste prefers. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice.

I don't worry a lot about being terribly symmetrical...

Roll up the dough like a cinnamon roll, pinch the edges all around to seal and fold where the seam is. Lay the stromboli seam side down on a pizza dish or large cookie sheet. Brush the entire stromboli with an egg, using a basting brush. Cut several small slats across the top, being careful not to cut too deeply into the stromboli. Top with 1/4 cup of cheese and sprinkle with fresh or dried parsley. 

Ready to pop in the oven
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes, while you heat up the remainder of the pizza sauce.
I love watching things bake in the oven - pure magic!

Finished product! 
This stromboli will serve 4 - 6 adults easily, especially if accompanied with a side salad.

I'll definitely be making this again for Super Bowl, and am planning to try a batch using gluten free flour mix (available at Costco).

Enjoy! 

Comments

Sarah said…
Yum! I will try this soon; I made calzones back when we were first married, but I've never made a stromboli. Even the name sounds fun!

Popular Posts